Thursday, January 20, 2011

How It Feels to Be Colored Me

I loooove the writings of Zora Neale Hurston. Her style is so chill. It seems as if she's talking to me.
In this particular piece, I laughed alot. It was almost as if throughout the whole story she was confused on why all of sudden she became this person she didn't know existed within her. A line that made me laugh was "I am the only Negro in the United States whose grandfather on the mother's side was not an Indian chief."
Nowadays, people always say that Blacks always say they're mixed with Indian but for Zora to say this, it was almost as if she were cracking an inside joke. Something else that caught my attention was "the very day I became colored." Very important in this passage. Zora didn't realize nor notice any of the differences bewteen herself and whites (besides skin  color) until she moved. It was then that she became this so called colored. When she was put into society for real and saw how majority saw her. She wasn't just this little girl who played on the porch anymore. No, now she was colored. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment