Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wright's Cravings

Is Richard Wright alone in his cravings? No not at all. I don't know if this is directed to anyone specific but I''ll just relate this to myself. I'm going to talk about the craving for attention. I wouldn't really call myself trying to be the center of attention but I guess at a younger age, I wanted people to know that I existed. Me being the oldest of three, I always had all the responsibility while the other two got the attention of being "cute." I never set a house on fire but I did always try to exceed my brothers. If somebody thought my brother was cute, I would do something cuter or I would just sit there and cry. After awhile I felt like the family only knew me as being the oldest and the only girl. Thus leading me to doing great in school. Everytime I did good in school, I got a "Great Job! Now you have to show your brothers!" And I would feel good because for once, I did something better than them. Another example is when the oldest of the boys and I entered an oratory contest every year. He would always get a place above me thus leading him to more praise and more criticism on what I could do to get there. This lead to me writing more and in 5th grade one of my poems were published. I'm pretty sure by 5th grade I wasn't so concerned about attention but it was still there. Now, I could care less. :) An 8th grader and a kindergartner no longer affect me. Now they're just annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment