Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Music Reviewww

Everyone knows I love music. I'm practically obsessed with it. Music is a gift from the Heavens. I listen to all type of music from Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Gospel, Country, Indie, Dubstep, and Classical. If it sounds good to my ears, I'm all for it. In this blog, I'll be dissecting some of Kendrick Lamar's Cartoons & Cereal. Kendrick Lamar is a rapper whom I happen to adore tremendously. I've heard this song so many times and realized that I wasn't completely understanding what Kendrick was talking about. I took a look at the bridge which is as follows: 
Now I was raised in a sandbox, next to you and her
You was holding the handgun, she was giving birth
To a baby boy to be just like you, I wonder what's that worth
I-I wonder if you ever knew that you was a role model to me first

The next day I-I woke up in the morning, seen you on the news
Looked in the mirror, then realized I-I-I had something to prove

You told me "Don't be like me, just finish watching cartoons"
Which is funny now cause all I see is Wile E. Coyotes in the room
                                          
I assume Kendrick is talking about his parents, specifically his father. The sandbox puts that childish play on the title of Cartoons and Cereal. Also, a sandbox is very confined so Kendrick could be suggesting that it was inevitable that he would end up like his father. He goes on to talk about how he doesn't want to be like this man (his father.) The man tells him to "finish watching cartoons." I think this means to basically continue to be a child and not let the outside world affect him. Wile E. Coyote is referring to the old cartoon Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner. Everyone knows that in this show, Wile tries to kill Road Runner using many different  methods. Kendrick uses this metaphor to describe his life. Everyone seems to be after him because he is not on the same path as them and he has to keep running, just like the Road Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment